Effective Jan. 1, 2012:
Only the newly-revised real estate transfer statement form 521 will be accepted (per the Nebraska Department of Revenue). The new version is available on our website (www.dcregisterofdeeds.org) in PDF format for your convenience.
LB 254 – Provide new requirements for instruments recorded in the Office of Register of Deeds. Note: LB 254 was actually effective Aug. 27, 2011.
Recording space requirements: 3” x 8 1/2” across the top of page 1
- Shall contain a blank
space at the top of the first page that is at least 3 inches in depth
attachment or affirmation shall be used in any way to cover any information
of printed material on the instrument.”
- Every instrument presented for recording shall have on the first page, below the 3-inch margin, a return address and the title of the document.
Margin requirements: 1” on both vertical sides, and 1” on the bottom. This applies throughout the document.
- At least 8 ½” x 11”, and no larger than 8 ½” x 14”
- Shall be printed, typewritten or computer-generated in black ink
- White paper, of not less than 20 lb. weight
- Each signature on an instrument shall be in black or dark blue ink.
- Names of
each party shall be typed, printed, or stamped beneath the original signature.
- Stamps shall not cover or interfere with any part of the
- Font size at least 8 point.
Exceptions to the rule:
- Instruments signed before the effective date of this bill (Aug.
- Instruments executed outside of the U.S.
- Certified copies from governmental agencies (death certificates)
- At the time of recording, instruments signed by a person who is
now incapacitated or deceased
- Instruments formatted to meet court requirements
- State and federal tax liens
- UCC instruments
- Plats, surveys, etc.